City of Sausalito Public Event Policy
The City of Sausalito is concerned with preserving the environment, and reducing the quantity of waste generated during public events. To this end, the city has established the following policy on disposable products used or generated at public gatherings.
Whenever practical, consumable or disposable materials sold or given to the public in Sausalito at city sponsored and authorized events will be limited to recycled content, recyclable or compostable material.
Whenever practical means that the recycled or recyclable products can perform the function intended at least as well as a product produced from only virgin material, and that the cost of the recycled or recyclable product reasonably approximates the cost of the product produced from more or solely virgin materials. In particular, Styrofoam(r) and similar materials are specifically prohibited starting in June 2003.
Sponsors of events should encourage reuse of food and beverage containers by means of discounts for bring-your-own containers and low-cost souvenir items. This will facilitate a reduction in the amount of disposable items given to participants.
The city's franchised waste management hauler will provide containers for every class of recyclable material present at events. Initially, this will include containers for food scraps, and glass, plastic, metal and paper.
The City of Sausalito will inform all participants, suppliers, and vendors of products and services about this policy.
The Sausalito Sustainability Commission and the City will work with participants to help them comply with this policy.
Examples of disposables and their treatment are:
- Dishes, bowls and utensils: Paper and compostable products made largely from renewable materials are available and should be used whenever practical.
- Napkins and similar clean-up materials: Cloth napkins and napkins made of recycled materials are available and should be used whenever practical.
- Literature and Programs: Non-recyclable covers or inserts are prohibited. The use of recycled paper is encouraged.
This policy does not apply to manufacturer or distributor packaging materials that will not be included when the products are sold or given to the public. However, minimizing this type of waste is encouraged.
Whenever practical, products should be purchased which have the following characteristics:
- The ability of a product and its packaging to be reused, reconditioned for use, or recycled through existing recycling collection program.The highest percentage of recycled material available in the marketplace
- The least volume and toxicity of waste and by-products a given product and its packaging generate in their manufacture, use, recycling and disposal.
City of Sausalito Procurement Policy
The City of Sausalito is concerned with the quality of the environment and quantity of waste it generates. To this end, the City of Sausalito has established this policy that will give preference to environmentally sensitive products, where quality, function and cost are equal or superior. Products and packaging materials will contain environmentally appropriate alternatives whenever practical. All products will be chosen based on efficient use of energy, natural resources, and potential for safe, non-hazardous disposal. In particular, the purchase and use of Styrofoam(r) and similar materials are specifically prohibited starting in June 2003.
The City of Sausalito will inform all suppliers and vendors of products and services about the policy.
The Sausalito Sustainability Commission and the City will work with vendors to meet the City's criteria.
"Whenever practical" means that the recycled products can perform the function intended at least as well as a product produced from only virgin material, and that the cost of the recycled product reasonably approximates the cost of the product produced from more or solely virgin materials.
Whenever practical, the following characteristics should be considered a priority when purchasing products:
- The ability of a product and its packaging to be reused, reconditioned for use, or recycled through existing recycling collection programs
- The highest percentage of recycled material available in the marketplace
- The volume and toxicity of waste and by-products a given product and its packaging generate in their manufacture, use, recycling and disposal.
- The minimal estimated life-cycle cost for equipment like vehicles, floor coverings, lights and toilets that consume significant resources in their use.
For example, paper products containing a minimum of 30% post-consumer recovered material and a minimum 50% total recovered material are currently available in the marketplace. These materials provide equivalent performance at a competitive price and must be procured for use by City agencies. The goal is the use of 100% recycled content whenever practical.
Equipment purchased or rented by the City of Sausalito are to be compatible, whenever practical, with the use of recycled-content products (e.g. photocopy machines).
Product specifications and requisitions for products will conform to the following guidelines:
- Specifications and requisitions shall not require the exclusive use of products made from virgin materials, nor specifically exclude the use of recycled-content products.
- Performance standards must be reasonable and related to function, and shall not be designed to exclude the purchase of recycled-content products.
- Sausalito City staff shall identify in the purchase requisition products available with recycled content and vendors from whom such products are available.
- The Sausalito City purchasing agents have the authority to specify a minimum recycled-content standard in bid solicitations to be at the highest levels available in the marketplace consistent with satisfactory performance.
- Non-conforming materials may continue to be used only until existing stocks are exhausted.