Tourist bicycle season has arrived, and with it, another year of the Sausalito Bike Parking and Congestion Management Program
. This year, the program gets underway on Saturday, April 1, and consists of the following elements:
- Ambassador services to direct the flow of bicycle tourists through Sausalito.
- A valet bicycle parking area on Tracy Way.
- Assistance from the bicycle rental companies and ferry operators in managing ferry loading queues.
- Police enforcement of the City's bicycle parking ordinance.
In 2017, the City will also be supporting the efforts of Sausalito Bike Return
, a local company that takes tourist bicycles back to San Francisco by truck.
For the third consecutive year, ambassador services will be provided by SausalitoPlus
, a local non-profit organization created to support the management and safety of bicyclists and pedestrians. The SausalitoPlus Ambassador Program
will offer the following services during the 2017 tourist bicycle season, which continues through October 15:
- Maintain a daily count of visiting cyclists on rental bikes.
- Welcome cyclists, advise them to slow down, and encourage walking of bikes on the sidewalk along the downhill portion of South Street.
- Direct cyclists to downtown Sausalito and explain that there is no parking of bicycles on sidewalks.
- Manage the bike valet parking area on Tracy Way and direct bicyclists to the ferry queuing area.
- Provide guidance and directions to visitors, and answer any questions.
Marin County residents can park in the valet parking area free of charge. Free bicycle parking is also available in a small lot just north of Bay Street and at the north side of Municipal Lot 3.
The Sausalito Police Department discourages locals and visitors from parking bicycles anywhere downtown other than designated bike parking areas or fixed bicycle racks. Sausalito City Ordinance No. 1222
authorizes the City to impound improperly parked bicycles and charge a $25 release fee. Downtown parking enforcement hours are from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Questions about Sausalito's Bike Parking and Congestion Management Program may be directed to Lieutenant Stacie Gregory, (415) 289-4170 or email@example.com
WATCH A PRESENTATION TO CITY COUNCIL ABOUT TOURIST BICYCLES